Arent thoe Boecophuis

Contact

Address:
van Kinsbergenstraat 5
8081 CL Elburg
Plan your route

More information

Steward Arent thoe Boecop was commissioned to build a residence for the duke of Gelre and count of Zutphen, Willem van Gullik, in addition to designing a new town in 1393. The new town castle was probably the first stone building in Elburg. When construction was completed and the duke visited the city (1396), he donated the castle to Arent thoe Boecop. Arent thoe Boecop could not enjoy it for long because he died in 1397.

His son inherited the castle and sold it on March 7, 1400 to the city…

Steward Arent thoe Boecop was commissioned to build a residence for the duke of Gelre and count of Zutphen, Willem van Gullik, in addition to designing a new town in 1393. The new town castle was probably the first stone building in Elburg. When construction was completed and the duke visited the city (1396), he donated the castle to Arent thoe Boecop. Arent thoe Boecop could not enjoy it for long because he died in 1397.

His son inherited the castle and sold it on March 7, 1400 to the city of Elburg for 1800 Gelder Guilders, after which the castle served as town hall. In the 16th century, an extension was built at the back of the building. After that, there were several adjustments and renovations. The most drastic one in the 18th century, when the town hall and the adjoining house were combined. The outbuildings in the form of barns and police cells at the back have also been removed, giving the courtyard a more authentic look. In the 1960s, architect C.W. Rooyaards had the 18th century fa├žade removed. The 18th century windows remained intact, as did the rococo balcony with the two shield bearers. The castle was used as a town hall until 1954. The National Organ Museum has been located here since 2014.

Attributes

Location