The wall house

More information

The wall house, opposite of the museum on Zuiderwalstraat, is staffed by volunteers from the museum in the summer months.

In 1392, the Duke of Gelre ruled that building was prohibited within a mile of the city of Elburg. At the end of the 18th …

The wall house, opposite of the museum on Zuiderwalstraat, is staffed by volunteers from the museum in the summer months.

In 1392, the Duke of Gelre ruled that building was prohibited within a mile of the city of Elburg. At the end of the 18th century, a large part of the population lived outside the walls. At the beginning of the 20th century, the number of people living within the walls was three times as high as when the city was founded. To be able to store this amount of people, the inner moat was filled in and built on and new housing options were being created. Courtyard gardens disappeared and town wall houses arose. The walls had long since ceased to function and in this way they could still be used to give all kinds of buildings sturdiness. The poor of the city lived here, sometimes with large families. They fought for their existence every day. In 1773 Maria Herms Courage started a fund. She determined that two-thirds of the proceeds from the lands would be allocated annually to the poor of Elburg during the winter months. Many town wall houses and buildings in Elburg have been restored with the help of this money.

Opening times

  • The wall house is open for a visit to a limited extent. In the summer period it will be open every Tuesday to Saturday from 12:00 to 16:30, entrence is free of charge. You can contact the Information Centre for the current opening times.

Attributes

Location

Take a look