Vischpoort and Kazematten

More information

The Vischpoort used to be a defense tower, but it was turned into a gate in 1592 and it has been preserved to this day because the large lantern served as a coastal lantern in the last century. From the balcony you have a beautiful view over Elburg. The Kazematten are one of the oldest surviving cannon cellars in the Netherlands. They were part of the fortifications of the town of Elburg.

In 1396 Elburg was a fortified town measuring 250 by 415 meters. The wh…

Read more

The Vischpoort used to be a defense tower, but it was turned into a gate in 1592 and it has been preserved to this day because the large lantern served as a coastal lantern in the last century. From the balcony you have a beautiful view over Elburg. The Kazematten are one of the oldest surviving cannon cellars in the Netherlands. They were part of the fortifications of the town of Elburg.

In 1396 Elburg was a fortified town measuring 250 by 415 meters. The whole was surrounded by a relatively high, but thin wall. In this wall were bastions and defense towers: the Visscherspoort- Schuttoren - Kruittoren - Ronde Toren and the Hoge Soerel. The town had four entrance gates, namely the Goorpoort, the Mheenpoort, the Oostpoortje and the Heilige Geestpoort. The walls were high but not particularly thick. They did offer good protection against projectiles that were thrown towards the town by catapults. However, as it is today, it was then: technology progresses. Gunpowder was invented and after 1400 cannons are used more and more. Initially, the ammunition consisted of stone balls, but soon they switched to iron projectiles. In short, the walls could no longer stop this "modern" weaponry. The decision was made to erect ramparts (first half of the 16th century). Within these ramparts bunkers were built, the so-called Kazematten, in which fire guns were placed. A moat completed the whole. Nevertheless, they were still not completely satisfied. Between 1580 and 1590, under the leadership of Diederik van Sonooy, additional fortifications were built on the four corners of the ramparts. In 1592 Prince Maurits visited the town and viewed the defenceworks. The work was granted his approval and he called this "a special maexel".

The defense was now adapted to all the requirements of that time and that is why the Visscherstoren, a defense tower till 1592, could be turned into a gate. This gate was called "the Vischpoort". In the mid-19th century, the gates and defensive towers fell victim to the demolition rage of our ancestors. Most of the walls also suffered. Fortunately, the Vischpoort was spared and it served as a coastal light in the 19th century. From the balcony you have a beautiful view of Vesting Elburg with its rectangular street plan. In 2019 an escape room will be realized in the Vischpoort.

During the summer holidays, the Kazematten can be visited. Experience the history of Elburg! Entrance fee is € 1.00. Opening hours every Tuesday to Saturday from 12:00 to 4:30 pm. The Vischpoort can only be visited with a guide by appointment.

Read less

Opening times

  • The Kazematten can be visited during the summer holidays. Entrance fee is € 1.00. Opening hours every Tuesday to Saturday from 12:00 to 4:30 pm. The Vischpoort can only be visited by appointment with a guide.

Prices

  • Price explanation: Vischpoort can only be visited with a guide by appointment.

Attributes

Accommodation

  • Type of building: Fort/fortifications

Target group

  • ChildrenYes
  • GroupsYes
  • FamiliesYes
  • Young peopleYes
  • PupilsYes
  • StudentsYes
  • AdultsYes
  • Senior citizensYes

Location

Take a look